In posting this, I have to admit that this is my first attempt at a quinoa burger but thankfully, I was not disappointed!! Continuing with the leftover theme, I STILL had leftover quinoa (always a great ingredient for last minute meals). I also had a sweet potato that was looking a little worse for wear and a nice and ripe avocado.
(Excuse the sad state of my arugula, I would definitely recommend using some fresher than what I had in my fridge). Based on these ingredients, I decided to venture into unknown territory and make a quinoa sweet potato burger with an avocado pesto sauce, topped off with some caramelized onions and arugula. Not going to lie, I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out, as are my taste buds.
1/2 sweet potato
1 clove garlic
1 tbs + 2 tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped onion (either red or white)
2 tbs pesto
1 tbs mayo
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup arugula
1. Preheat oven to 400. Cube sweet potato and thinly slice garlic (I like to leave the skin on the potato for extra nutrients and added texture but it’s fine to peel as well!). Spread across sheet pan and drizzle with 1 tbs olive oil, cayenne, and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Place in oven for 15-20 min, until potatoes are cooked through.
2. Combine avocado, mayo, pesto, 1 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt in food processor. Puree until it reaches the consistency you desire (could be chunky or smoother depending on preference).
3. Remove potatoes and garlic from oven. Mash with fork or masher until smooth. Add egg and quinoa, mix to fully combine. Make a ball and place on sheet pan and put in oven at 350.
4. Heat small pan on stove. Add 1 tsp olive oil, then add onion when the oil is hot. Sprinkle salt and pepper, cook onions until they are caramelized, about 10 min.
5. Flip burger and flatten it a little after 10 min and return to oven to cook other side for 10 more min.
6. Place burger on plate. Spread avocado pesto sauce over top. Add onions then arugula and then EAT!